Tuesday, January 25, 2017
Joint Meeting with Monday Morning Group
7:30 a.m.-8:30 a.m.
Renaissance Salon Mission Inn,
Present: Patti Arlt, Deborah Barmack, Ann Bryan, Kevin Dyerly, Louis Goodwin, Scott Hofferber, Jay Jimenez, Mark Kaenel, Lowell King, Pam Langford, Bill Lemann, P.T. McEwen, Dan Murphy, Roman Nava, Tom Nightingale, Brian Reider, Michael Rivera, Elizabeth Romero, Khalil Saba, Kristine Scott, Paul Shimoff, Steve von Rajcs, Hassan Webb and Ray Wolfe.
Announcements: 1) Inland Action members were asked to notify staff by Friday, January 27, 2017, if they plan to attend the Washington, D.C. trip as hotels are at a premium.
Matthew Webb, President, Monday Morning Group called the meeting to order and welcomed Inland Action. Kristine Scott, Chair of Inland Action, announced that she has asked Mark Kaenel to continue as a primary contact between Inland Action and Monday Morning Group.
Mathew Webb led a review of legislative issues and called upon Committee Chairs to comment. The respective Inland Action Committee Chairs/Co-Chairs commented and shared their thoughts.
Monday Morning Group currently has three major focus areas: education, transportation and water. The following were discussed:
- Affordable Housing/overall supply
- Pipeline for STEM Teachers
- Pell Grants
- Reimbursement funding discrepancies (one message for a decade long problem)
- Judgeship reallocation (approved by the Senate and Governor in 2016-Assembly withdrew)
- Federal legislation to create new judgeships in the western states
- Funding for runway/Ramp pavement MARB
- Funding and reform
- Cap & Trade discretionary grants
- Funding California SB4-Mendoza
- I-15 TIFIA Loan
- CalTrans access to federal grants
- California Water Fix
- Santa Ana River Habitat Conservation Plan
- ESA Reform
- Salton Sea funding
- Long term water conservation mandate
Matthew Webb expressed that the population of our two counties totals 4.3 million residents and our region cannot be ignored. Inland Action and Monday Morning Group can have a bigger impact if we collaborate on critical issues.
E-mail and contact information for the Committee Chairs for the two groups will be shared so further coordination and sharing is expedited.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:31 a.m.