Tuesday, March 5, 2019
Member Only Board Meeting
Norton Regional Event Center
1601 E. Third St., Suite 138
San Bernardino, CA 92408
Present: Patti Arlt, Deborah Barmack, Peter Barmack, Carole Beswick, Mike Burrows, Ken Coate, Jennifer Cusack, Kevin Dyerly, Ashley Gaines, Fran Inman, Mark Kaenel, Lowell King, Pam Langford, John Mirau, Steve PonTell, Keven Porter, Thomas Rice, Michael Rivera, Dan Roberts, Kristine Scott, and Ray Wolfe.
Announcements: 1) The State Assemblyman James Ramos honored Kristine Scott as his 2019 Woman of the Year. Congratulations were expressed to Kristine. 2) The final report for IEGO, by the Brookings Institute, will be released April 1, 2019 and going forward the efforts will likely be housed at the Community Foundation. 3) Governor Newsom met in Sacramento with leaders from the Central Valley and the Inland Empire regions to discuss a coalition of the two regions called Inland California Raising. Kristine Scott attended and reported that the group met with many of the Governor’s staff and discussed mutual issues. She indicated that additional representatives from the Inland Empire have since been contacted and will participate in the future. The purpose in uniting the two groups is to create a strong united voice to call attention to Inland California as a land of innovation that deserves investment from state officials. The 2019 planned summits will help clarify priorities and identify strategies to address common issues, including higher education, health care, housing and transit, economic development and transportation infrastructure. The James Irvine Foundation has provided early support to the initiative. The next summit will be held at the Riverside Convention Center on May 10, 2019.
M/S/P: Minutes from February 26, 2019
Lowell King, First Vice Chair presiding.
Lowell King asked the Committee Chairs to present their priority items for the Washington, D.C. advocacy trip and give legislative updates to their positions. Member booklets for the advocacy trip were distributed.
- Urge increased federal support for workforce training initiatives and programs that will successfully serve Inland Empire employers and workers.
- Support Improved College Access and Completion through Pell Aid to Students.
- Support funding for continued management of the Salton Sea.
- Support California Waterfix and California EcoRestore to ensure more reliable long-term water delivery for California.
- Support the appointment of qualified candidates to fill existing judicial vacancies in the Central District of California, especially in the Eastern Division of that Court, serving the Inland Area.
- Encourage the development of a strategy and coalition with other regions in the country to avoid the loss of transportation funding from EPA proposals to adopt more stringent standards for ground-level ozone and encourage an enhanced federal role in reducing emissions from interstate and international goods movement vessels.
The schedule of appointments is still being developed. Trip participants will receive a copy on Friday by e-mail. At this time there are no meetings scheduled for Wednesday.
The group will have a meeting room on Tuesday, March 12 in the Cannon Building (room 122) from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. where we have asked our legislators to meet with us.
Meeting Adjourned 8:29 a.m.