Release of Final Environmental Impact Report for the Delta Conveyance Project
December 8, 2023
Today, the California Department of Water Resources released the Final Environmental Impact Report for the Delta Conveyance Project. This is the culmination of an extensive environmental review process, including evaluations of nine project alternatives (including the proposed project) and a No Project Alternative, which has led to more than 700 letters and 7,300 individual comments on what form the Delta Conveyance Project should take.
We are pleased by the announcement that DWR has identified the Bethany Alignment as the preferred project alternative. It is the right sized project to protect California’s water security while minimizing impacts to the Delta ecology. As we face down another potential wet winter, today’s announcement signals California’s continued commitment to preparing California for the impacts of climate change. Moving forward with this project is critical to ensuring California’s water security.
Here are highlights related to the importance of this step forward:
- Today’s announcement by @CA_DWR is a crucial step in California’s preparation for climate change. Moving the Delta Conveyance Project forward will protect water supplies for more than 2/3rds of California! Now is the time to act before it is too late!
- Final EIR for the Delta Conveyance Project enables water managers to capture and save water when it is plentiful to prepare for future droughts. Improved conveyance infrastructure is a critical part of a comprehensive water portfolio. We support the #DCP!
- The Delta Conveyance Project will modernize the State’s aging water infrastructure and guard against threats like rising sea levels, earthquakes, and prepare us for a more uncertain water future. We need to invest in an all-of-the-above water solutions.
- Today’s announcement marks a historic investment in California’s water future. Improving #Conveyance will make it easier for us to prepare for the impacts of climate change. We support modernizing our aging water infrastructure by building the Delta Conveyance Project.
- Climate change has shifted CA’s hydrology. We are experiencing longer droughts and short, intense rainy seasons. Our water infrastructure is unprepared for this reality. Today’s Final EIR for the Delta Conveyance Project could change that and protect water supplies for millions.
- We are eager to work with @CA_DWR to move the Delta Conveyance Project forward to protect the water supplies for millions of Californians. Without action, our water supplies could be at risk due to climate change. We support #DCP!