Tuesday, January 23, 2024
Meeting In-Person and via ZOOM
Present: Deborah Barmack, Carole Beswick, Mike Burrows, Ken Coate, Kevin Dyerly, Fran Inman, Mark Kaenel, Lowell King, Bill Lemann, Miguel Mendoza, John Mirau, Dan Murphy, Bansree Parikh, Cat Pritchett, Michael Rivera, Elizabeth Romero, Dan Schenkel, Kristine Scott, Ray Wolfe, and Frank Zabaleta.
Announcements: 1) The Committee was reminded that the January 30, 2024, meeting will be off-site at the Inland Empire Health Plan (IEHP) offices. 2) Carole Beswick will attend the Strategic Growth Council Conference in Sacramento next week. 3) The SAWPA grant, endorsed by Inland Action, has been successfully awarded. This grant is important to our region’s water system.
Lowell King, Past Chair presiding.
Motion K. Scott/Second/Passed: Minutes from November 28, 2023.
Since the retirement announcement of Carole Beswick and Deborah Barmack earlier this month, their job description has been reviewed and edited by the Leadership/Personnel Committee. Chair Kevin Dyerly has e-mailed the latest version to the Executive Committee members for their review and input. The Leadership/Personnel Committee has convened with the addition of current officers to serve as the Search Committee. The Search Committee will be Chaired by Kevin Dyerly and Co-Chaired by Lowell King in close consultation with all the Search Committee members.
As they speak with candidates there will be opportunities for:
- Candidates to meet with members of the Search Committee
- Candidates to meet with current CEO and President
- Search Committee will meet and ask for feed back and recommendations from current CEO and President
Ultimately a candidate identified by the Search Committee will be brought to the full board.
Revisions to the budget will likely occur to compensate for overlap and training, which has been discussed with Frank Zabaleta, Treasurer and Mark Kaenel, Past Treasurer. The balances in our CD accounts fulfill the By-Laws requirements for at least 6 months of operating reserves.
Feedback regarding general qualifications for appropriate candidates includes someone from the region who has close ties with the region. Kevin and Lowell will draft a communication that will summarize many of the points discussed at last week’s meeting with the accompanied job description. The intent is to distribute to all members and ask them to begin to use their networks to share the job announcement and ask those interested to submit information to the Inland Action office.
Discussion from the Committee members included desired characteristics and core responsibilities, the order of the job description, non-partisanship of the organization, title of the position, minimum qualifications, political acumen, and fulfilling the role as ambassador representing the group and region. Additional feedback should be emailed to Lowell or Kevin by end of day.
2024 D.C. Advocacy trip
- Members were asked to make appointment requests as soon as possible. Staff will pursue appointments with agencies, legislators and/or staff.
- The group will be staying at the Thompson Hotel (same as last year) which is located very near the Capitol and the House and Senate office buildings.
- Airline prices seem to be coming down but fluctuate.
- Lobbyists Leticia White has volunteered to conduct a briefing. Briefings will also be requested from Potomac Partners and Von Scoyoc Assoc.
- The group will again have a designated room on Tuesday for legislators and staff to meet with us which has been arranged by Congressman Aguilar’s office.
- Staff will try to schedule meetings with administration officials and agencies on Monday.
- We will have the Legislative Reception on Tuesday evening (March 12, 2024). There is an important meeting for legislators, consequently, the evening the reception will likely be held from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Please use the word format template provided by Deborah Barmack for Committee issues so our issue papers appear professional and consistent.
The Advocacy trip to Sacramento is tentatively planned for Tuesday, April 16, 2024. Committees should be prepared for a quick turnaround. There will be 2 meetings dedicated to Committee work on State issues on March 26 & April 2.
Meeting adjourned at 8:29