September 29, 2020
Executive Committee – Members Only Meeting
Join the Virtual Meeting via Zoom
Meeting ID: 893 6520 3470 Passcode: 247516
8:00 a.m. Meeting Called to Order – 9:00 a.m. Adjournment
Presiding: Kristine Scott
- Approve Minutes of August 4, 2020
- Treasurer’s Report – Mark Kaenel
- Resignation of Century 21 Lois Lauer Realty
- Orientation of New IA Members and Role of Membership Committee
- Revise IA policy related to candidates speaking at meetings. IA has a long-standing policy restricting candidates from speaking at meetings prior to an election:
Endorsements of Candidates and Ballot Measures Policy. As a non-profit, non-partisan corporation, Inland Action does not support candidates for elective office. Inland Action does not invite candidates for elective office to speak at meetings or sponsored events within the six-month period prior to an election, unless such meetings or events serve as a forum at which all candidates for a given office are invited to attend and address the gathering. Notwithstanding this policy, nothing shall prohibit Inland Action from adopting positions on proposed ballot measures affecting issues of importance to Inland Action.
With California primary elections now taking place in March, this policy is very limiting, particularly when considering incumbents. This policy will prohibit inhibit IA from having Members of Congress and California Assembly members speak at our meetings from October 2021 to March 2021 and from June 2022 to November 2022, or effectively half of the term to which they are elected to represent their districts. It is also limiting with respect to members of the County Board of Supervisors. IA should consider updating this policy to provide for effective communication with our elected officials.
- Volunteers from Executive Committee and/or Legislative Committee to speak at October 13 IA meeting on California Ballot Initiatives.
- California Transportation Commission Membership
- Report on Uplift San Bernardino initiatives
Future Board Meetings
10/06/20 – Rob Field, City Manager, City of San Bernardino
10/13/20 – California Ballot Initiatives
10/20/20 – Cathryn Rivera-Hernandez, Appointments Secretary, Office of the Governor