Tuesday, December 1, 2015
Member Only Board of Directors Meeting
San Bernardino Community College District
114 S. Del Rosa Drive
San Bernardino, CA 92408
Present: Deborah Barmack, Carole Beswick, Ken Coate, Matthew Isaac, Erik Johnson, Temetry Lindsey, Sue McKee, John Mirau, Dan Murphy, Brian Reider, Kristine Scott, Paul Shimoff and Ray Wolfe.
Announcements: 1) A reminder that Ron Loveridge invites Inland Action members to have dinner and conversation with the city managers of Vallejo and Stockton following the Dec. 3 Randall Lewis Seminar the topic of which is “Two California Cities Emerge from Bankruptcy”. The program is from 5:30 to 7, dinner following, if you are interested in attending please let Carole know. 2) Inland Action will be collecting donated books for the Inland Empire Children’s Book Project (IECBP). These books are provided to San Bernardino Unified School District at no cost. Members are encouraged to donate at the meetings. 3) In order to clear up yearend accounting please remit any monies due to Inland Action as soon as possible.
M/S/P: Minutes from November 24, 2015.
- The dates for the 2016 Washington, D.C. advocacy trip were discussed. The advocacy dates will be Sunday, March 13 to Wednesday, March 16, 2016. A reservation form will be sent out to the membership shortly. As a reminder, the airfare and three nights’ accommodation in D.C. are included in the Inland Action dues. Members are encouraged to make their own air reservation.
- Inquiries about a briefing from Best Best & Krieger and lobbyists for the county and SANBAG will be explored.
- A venue for a reception in D.C. was discussed and possibilities will be reviewed further.
- Guests for the event was discussed and will again include elected officials and lobbyists. Congressman Aguilar’s office will be contacted for further input. If members have individuals they would like to include, please inform staff.
Speakers for 2016
Potential speakers were discussed. Comments included:
- Hearing from the electeds has been insightful for the membership and provides a different perspective then when the group meets to advocate.
- The “Business’s Making A Difference” series was very interesting but often challenging as private business owners without a connection to Inland Action may be reluctant to speak. Members were asked to assist.
- Speakers: private business owners without a connection to Inland Action may be….”
Suggestions for speakers included: The new Director of Ontario Airport (named by January 1st), representative from Pyro Spectacular-Rialto, The Icee Co.-Ontario, CBRE, Global Environmental-San Bernardino, Anita’s Mexican Food Corp-San Bernardino and an update from Hillwood. Inland Action committee members provided suggestions for speakers on their respective committee topics.
SANBAG staff has reviewed some of the cost estimate for the Mt Vernon Bridge replacement project. Contained in the Mayor’s projected estimate of $90M is $31M for BNSF mitigation. Funding from previous grants will not be accessible until the City of San Bernardino submits accounting audits required by Caltrans.
Meeting adjourned at 8:30 a.m.