Tuesday, February 5, 2013
Closed Board of Directors Meeting
San Bernardino Community College District
114 S. Del Rosa Drive
San Bernardino, CA 92408
Present: Dimitrios Alexiou, Don Averill, Carole Beswick, Tom Brickley, Erin Brinker, Ken Coate, Dick Hart, Mark Kaenel, Al Karnig, Lowell King, Temetry Lindsey, Lou Monville, Charlie Ng, Bev Powell, John Prentice, Susan Rice, Kristine Scott, Larry Sharp, Paul Shimoff, Shelli Stockton, Steve von Rajcs, Phil Waller and A.J. Wilson.
Announcements: 1) The Greater Riverside Chambers of Commerce will hold an Economic Development Briefing on Friday, February 22, 2013 at the Mission Inn beginning at 11:30 a.m. Mike Rossi, Senior Advisor, Jobs and Development, Office of the Governor will be featured. Please go to https://www.riverside-chamber.com/chamcart/index.cfm?categoryid=3 for further information and registration. 2) Participants of the Washington, D.C. trip are requested to supply 30 of their business cards to the office for legislator booklets. 3) A new member lunch, hosted by Loma Linda University, will be held on February 14, 2013.
M/S/P: Minutes of the January 22, 2013 meeting
Farmdale Creamery has been proposed for membership by the Executive Committee. Scott Hofferber, Controller will serve as member. For more information please visit their web site: http://www.farmdale.net/ . A second announcement will be made next week and a vote for membership will be on February 19, 2013.
Committees presented their federal issues.
- Cap on charitable giving
- Reauthorization of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998
- Pell Grants
- Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) Reauthorization
- Desert Renewable Energy Conservation
- San Onofre Nuclear Generating System (SONGS)
- Long-term funding for surface transportation
- Long-term funding for goods movement
- Local membership on national and state Freight Policy Councils
- Funding for critical transportation projects
- Redlands Rail
- Ontario Airport Transit Connections
- Project delivery streamlining by extending the life of the DOT federally required traffic studies
- Curbing air pollution from interstate and international goods movement activities – marine, rail and aircraft
- Customs Service in the Inland Empire (Homeland Security)
- Medicare/Medicaid cuts must be avoided
- Our region is critically underserved
- Our region needs more residency slots. Currently capped which causes fewer MD available in the Inland Empire.
- We need to create opportunities for work force development in medical fields.
The membership will decide on the priority issues after the presentation on February 19, 2013.
Larry Sharp reported on the San Bernardino City Council meeting held Monday, February 4, 2013. Concerns were discussed regarding the recent mediated union negotiations.
Meeting adjourned at 8:33 a.m.